Friday, February 10, 2012

Smoothies

“Would you make me a smoothie today when I get home from school?” This is a request my daughter made yesterday. Of course, she couched it in several “if I...” statements. I agreed to make the smoothie regardless of the if’s. For one thing it’s a healthy drink.

Smoothies come in all sorts of flavors and we like them all. They are a concoction of fruit and fruit juices. We decided to do Orange-Banana. You can use any fresh or frozen (thawed) fruit. From oranges you get Vitamin C and we all know potassium comes from bananas.



These are the ingredients you will need.

2 Bananas
Orange juice (enough to cover the bananas)
1/4 to1/2 cup Sugar (I’m sure a sugar substitute will work easily here)
Ice

Depending on your blender size, the yield could be different. I have a Waring. It’s been with me for at least twenty years. We get 3 1/2 tall glasses.




Peel and break the bananas into small sections.  Put in blender.





Add sugar and enough orange juice to cover the bananas.


   Blend.  The mixture should look like this.




Add the ice.

Blend a second time.






The mixture should be thick and creamy.  Pour into talk glasses and add a colorful straw.  You can also serve these in daiquiri or margarita glasses.  Garnish it with a sprig of mint, a tiny umbrella or fruit on toothpick.  They make a great summer drink, an replenishment drink after exercising.





It's fun, it's easy and most important, it's healthy.  We had guests once who didn't like orange juice.  I made them for breakfast and they tried them.  While they may not like orange juice, they had seconds on these.  Now, banana-orange smoothies are a requested item by those same guests who didn't drink orange juice.

Enjoy!





1 comment: